Search This Blog

Sunday 26 June 2011

FIRST BLOG - May - June 2011

This is my first blog as a District Councillor for St Anne's.
I must say a HUGE thank you to all of the people who supported both myself and my husband John, who narrowly missed a second seat for Labour on South Kesteven District Council.

I have hit the ground running and will be using this blog to provide regular updates on my activity, and, comment on the Government policies which will have an affect on us.

I have been elected as SKDC Labour Group Chair, a member of the Communities Policy Development Group and a member of the Development and Control (otherwise known as Planning) committee.
This is a quasai judicial committee which decides on planning applications.
I cannot comment on any application being considered prior to a planning application being considered, but I can consider any information put before me, and I can help point you in the right direction if you have a planning query.

As one of 6 Labour Councillors in a Conservative/Independent controlled council there is only so much I can do but I believe there are four key areas I can make a real difference.

a. Working with local people, organisations and representatives to identify iniatives that can be delivered by thinking "outside the box".

b. Examining how the council works, and being prepared to speak out where poor practise, or even, illegal practise is occuring.

c. Supporting the council where I have the skills, as a former Business Improvement Consultant, so that we all gain from making the council work better for us.

d. Campaigning - locally and nationally - as a Councillor and active member of the Labour Party.

I am aware that a third of people living in Grantham do not have internet access. This blog is for those that do, and anyone else interested in some of the things I have to say.

I will be producing a Newsletter shortly for every household in my ward with details of my recent activities, how to get hold of me, other useful information and details of my surgery times and locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome...